Filed Under: Tutorials
First of all if you have no idea what I’m even talking about. MAMP is an application that installs Apache, MySQL, and PHP on your Mac. This turns your computer into a server capable of running scripts locally. Macs actually come with most of this pre-installed, but the setup for it is a bit more complicated and using MAMP is far easier. Secondly this tutorial assumes you are using OS 10.4 Tiger, because we rely on a widget to get things rolling. If you are using OS 10.3 Panther you should still be able to follow along.
To start we need to go download the MAMP installer. It’s just like installing any other program on a Mac.
After installation go to your Applications folder and locate MAMP. In the MAMP folder you should see a black icon for installing the widget. Click the widget installer and OS X will ask you if you want to keep it, click keep. Then activate your dashboard by hitting the f12 key and find the widget.
Edit: For those of you not using OS 10.4, you can click on the MAMP application icon in the MAMP folder to get access to the start page and server on/off buttons.
You are going to do two things here. First click the i button on the bottom of the widget to flip it over (this button isn’t visible until you mouse over) and select php 4 on the back. Click done, which takes you back to the front and then click stop servers. When the progress wheel stops click start servers. Once they start, click Open Start Page. The page that pops up can cause your eyes to glass over if you don’t know what you are looking at, but this page contains the info we need to install WordPress.
Write down the host, user, and password which should be localhost, root, and root. However look at the example they provide and you will notice they enter localhost:8889 which will be important later when we install WordPress. Click on the phpMyAdmin link. You need to add a new database for WordPress to connect to. To make things easier we will create a new database named wordpress, however you can call it anything you want. Then click create. That’s it. Now we need to get WordPress.
Go and download WordPress. Once it’s done move the wordpress folder to the htdocs folder which is in the MAMP folder where we found the widget earlier. Now if you open the readme.html file in the wordpress folder you will get some instructions that I’m about to run you through.
Since I know all of you have the program TextEdit that’s what we are going to use for this next step (Edit: If you do use TextEdit make sure it’s set to plain text and not rich text under preferences>format). Locate the wp-config-sample.php file in the WordPress folder and open with TextEdit. We need to modify this file. You need to change the info in this file to the same as what we found on the MAMP start page. Make sure the DB_NAME is wordpress (or whatever you named your DB in the phpMyAdmin panel), Change the DB_USER to ‘root’, DB_PASSWORD to ‘root’, and the DB_HOST to localhost:8889. Save this file as wp-config.php.
Next you need to open http://localhost:8888/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php. Once it’s done you will be given a username and password. Write these down because you will need them to get in to the admin account. Now if you navigate to http://localhost:8888/wordpress/ you should see your default installation of WordPress.
Now you can work on your blog or develop templates on your local machine without changing your online blog. This also allows you to work on your blog development without an internet connection. For some other tips on how to use MAMP check out How do you use MAMP?.
I hope this got you up and running in 15 minutes like I promised when we started. Now that you are up and running, you will want to select a great looking theme for your blog. Have a look at these 10 beautiful WordPress themes. Good Luck!
I’ve added a MAMP video tutorial that gives an advanced peek at MAMP.
1. Can I use MAMP to host my web site for other people to see?
-Yes, but not really. MAMP is more like a testing ground to run server scripts on your local computer. This allows you to develop themes, learn more about web based applications and test before you go live. However, if you are looking for a host to biuld a site online I recommend using Bluehost or signing up for a free WordPress blog at WordPress.com.
2. I can’t open the start page from the widget.
-This is a known problem and I contacted the developers about it. You can open the start page from the MAMP application, then bookmark it so you can return to it. The start page address is http://localhost:8888/MAMP/?language=English
Edit: Possible fix.
3. When you say I need to “open http://localhost:8888/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php” do you mean open it in a browser?
-Everything you run in MAMP should start http://localhost:8888/ this is sort of like www, then you’ll add the name of the folder you are trying to access in the htdocs folder. So it will be http://localhost:8888/wordpress. Everything you add after that will take you to a different file in the wordpress folder. By opening the http://localhost:8888/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php you set the connection between the database (mysql) and the WordPress site (php). /wp-admin/install.php is just shorthand.
4. I used to be able to use MAMP, but now I get an unable to connect or failed to open page error when I go to my MAMP sites.
-Check the widget or the MAMP application and make sure the servers are running. There should be green lights to indicate that they are on.
- From hansupress » Blog Archive » Wordpress locally on Mac and Win. | Jan 3, 2006
- From Michael Doig » Blog Archive » How Do You Use MAMP? | Jan 7, 2006
- From links for 2006-01-11 at | Jan 10, 2006
- From 45royale - Web Design and Development | Jan 12, 2006
- From design.blog » First technology troubles | Feb 16, 2006
- From USTommyMC » If You Can Do It, I Can Do It Better. | Mar 2, 2006
- From Der hat schon gelb! » links for 2006-03-03 | Mar 3, 2006
- From No Flat Tire!!! » Blog Archive » Weblog Success - Part I | Mar 13, 2006
- From Jackcorto » Articles WordPress | Apr 1, 2006
- From XiAP GUI Studio » Blog Archive » Installing Wordpress Locally Using MAMP | Apr 20, 2006
- From Step-by-step iBlog to WordPress at bioneural.net | May 29, 2006
- From Tom Kim » Web Apps on My Mac | Jun 14, 2006
- From How to Install Wordpress Locally on Your Computer « Quick Online Tips | Jun 28, 2006
- From Internet Junkies » Blog Archive » Top 11 World Cup socceros | Jun 29, 2006
- From Confused Development | Jul 19, 2006
- From gaarf.info » Blog Archive » Fix for MAMP Dashboard Widget | Aug 23, 2006
- From Fadzlys Hackspot » Blog Archive » Wordpress Installation (Official) | Oct 1, 2006
- From A Swarm of Iwarunas 2.0-alpha » MAMP: Macintosh, Apache, MySQL & PHP | Nov 5, 2006
- From GETTING A CREDIT CARD AFTER BANKRUPTCY » Getting a credit card after bankruptcy - Getting Started with WordPress WordPress Codex | Nov 15, 2006
- From GETTING A MERCHANT ACCOUNT » Getting a merchant account - Getting Started with WordPress WordPress Codex | Dec 3, 2006
- From Michael Doig - An Intelligent Mix Of Design And Marketing » Blog Archive » The First Year or Why I Need A Change | Dec 6, 2006
- From åŽçŸ¥åŽè§‰ » So Hello baby | Jan 3, 2007
- From bad words » Blog Archive » Difficulty setting up MAMP & Wordpress | Jan 30, 2007
- From » What I learned from Leo this week | Feb 27, 2007
- From Journal » Hosting a PHP test website locally | Mar 1, 2007
- From days without a job » MAMP and localhost | Mar 20, 2007
- From CrÃ©ation ThÃ¨me WP LeÃ§on #1: Installation de Wordpress en local | Mar 22, 2007
- From WORDPRESSNEWS.COM » WordPress - WordPress.com Forums | Mar 31, 2007
- From links for 2007-04-07 « Coruxa Xusticiera | Apr 7, 2007
- From Happy Hour with Mark McKay » Blog Archive » Blog Don’t Like Ugly | 3 | May 23, 2007
- From Check List for WordPress Designers » WPDesigner | Jun 16, 2007
- From drdrewfus.com » links for 2007-06-22 | Jun 22, 2007
- From WorldWitnessWeb » Blog Archive » install | Jul 6, 2007
- From Usefulness « [m i a o w] the cat | Jul 20, 2007
- From The Sunday Post XIV | wind(the)frog(dot)net | Aug 12, 2007
- From Graphic Design Blog » Wordpress as a CMS - Content Management System | Sep 6, 2007
- From 5 Lessons I learned the hard way about Launching a Blog - Part 1 | Bloggercamp | Sep 7, 2007
- From Megabytes » Blog Archive » Installing Wordpress Locally on a Mac | Sep 10, 2007
- From wonder::beauty » localhost for WP on MAC | Sep 13, 2007
- From WordPress Theme Building Resources | J David Macor.com | Sep 17, 2007
- From Création Thème Wordpress | Tutorial #1: Installation de Wordpress en local | Sep 27, 2007
- From Freemaxsite.com » Blog Archive » How to Install WordPress | Oct 31, 2007
- From MAMP Resource Links | Nov 19, 2007
- From Installing Wordpress Reference + Installation Tutorials « Info Filing - a temporary site | Nov 26, 2007
- From WordPress locally on Mac with MAMP | Building the In-house Design Blog | Dec 21, 2007
- From Buffer Dump 27DEC07 « Feet up, eyes closed, head back | Dec 28, 2007
- From Moodle, MAMP, Wordpress | Jan 4, 2008
- From OS X Users - Great Tool for Practicing Wordpress Design | By Random Influence | Jan 22, 2008
- From twikis are better than blogs - conflicting forces in online media » zulutime | Jan 27, 2008
- From Running a local server | this woman's work | Jan 29, 2008
- From Installing Wordpress locally via XAMPP & MAMP. « Deepink | Feb 7, 2008
- From Wordpress on Local Server, with a Mac | StinkyTofu | Andrew M. Lin | Feb 8, 2008
- From WordPress 2.5 - kicking the tires « Opposable Thumbz? | Apr 1, 2008
- From Community Guy, Jake McKee - Rapid Fire - Wednesday, April 02 | Apr 3, 2008
- From Open Source Design : MAMP and Wordpress: installing on your computer locally for easy testing | Apr 7, 2008
- From An American in Jordan » Blog Archive » Offline Web Development Made Easy | Apr 14, 2008
- From Graphic Design Portfolio | Nottingham Graphic Designers | Attitude Design | Apr 16, 2008
- From mjwcreativeportfolio.co.uk » Blog Archive » Installing a local version of Wordpress | Apr 26, 2008
- From 155 Wordpress Resources, Tutorials, Plugins, Themes, AJAX, Podcasting…WP Monster List | Speckyboy - Wordpress and Design | Apr 27, 2008
- From Arbeit macht Arbeit, Teil II « Joerns Weblog | May 5, 2008
- From Installing WordPress « Klikvnet99’s Weblog | May 12, 2008
- From Installing WordPress | May 12, 2008
- From Student loans in the United States » Blog Archive » Installing WordPress | May 27, 2008
- From Wordpress’in Kompetan? Olun! | Blog Mu Ne Diyorlar | Jun 22, 2008
- From Wordpress as a CMS - Content Management System | Percms | Jun 27, 2008
- From NETTUTS - Build a Basic Newspaper style layout with Wordpress and jQuery | Jul 18, 2008
- From NETTUTS - Tabbed Content using jQuery and WP_Query | Jul 19, 2008
- From Build a Basic Newspaper style layout with Wordpress and jQuery | Mexzhouse Design Studio | Jul 27, 2008
- From NETTUTS - Wordpress Sidebar Turned Apple-Flashy Using jQuery UI | Jul 30, 2008
- From Tabbed Content using jQuery and WP_Query | Mexzhouse Design Studio | Jul 30, 2008
- From Build a Newspaper Theme With WP_Query and the 960 CSS Framework - NETTUTS | Aug 6, 2008
- From Cómo aprender WordPress » blogpocket 7.0 | Aug 11, 2008
- From Create A YouTube Section With Wordpress - NETTUTS | Aug 14, 2008
- From Create A YouTube Section With WordPress | [w3b]ndesign | Aug 20, 2008
- From Piecemaker Design | John Whitlock | Jan 31, 2009
- From Wordpress installieren und einrichten unter MAMP « Haukie’s Weblog | Feb 2, 2009
- From Running php4 & php5 on Mac OSX 10.5 at Encoded | Gregory Tomlinson | Feb 23, 2009
- From Bookmarks for February 28th through March 2nd | Mike Andrews | Graphic Design | Smaller Spaces | Mar 2, 2009
- From WordPress Installed Locally « Jason Lieder | Mar 6, 2009
- From My Own Sandbox! | under dutch skies | Mar 11, 2009
- From MAMP « Shuck Media | Sep 18, 2009
- From GREAT tutorial for setting up mamp with komodoedit (or textedit) – Open Source Design - fall09 | Nov 7, 2009
- From MAMP and Wordpress « [Alternative Collaboration] | Apr 10, 2010
- From FROM LOCAL TO LIVE: EXPORTING WORDPRESS FROM MAMP TO LIVE – Open Source Design - Spring10 | May 10, 2010
- From Rapid development and journalism projects : The (e)Grommet | Jun 18, 2010
- From Multi user mamp wordpress | Hi Tech Stuff Reviews & Updates | Jan 7, 2011
- From Aurelius – installing WordPress locally | Wordpress Playhouse Blog | Jan 9, 2011
- From Aurelius – installing WordPress locally | Wordpress Playhouse Blog | Jan 15, 2011
- From Ordinary Life | Feb 17, 2011
- From Installing MAMP and Wordpress on a Mac | Freelance Graphic Designer Web Designer Wordpress cutomisation Brighton London UK CSS HTML W3C Web. | Jul 27, 2011
- From Computers Technology Gadgets & Web » 10 Mac Locally Sites » Computers Technology Gadgets & Web | Oct 20, 2011
- From Writing WordPress Guides For The Advanced Beginner | Nov 8, 2011
- From Writing WordPress Guides For The Advanced Beginner - Smashing WordPress | Nov 9, 2011
- From Writing WordPress Guides For The Advanced Beginner@smashing | seo???? | Nov 9, 2011
- From Writing WordPress Guides For The Advanced Beginner | Mirdita | Nov 9, 2011
- From Writing WordPress Guides For The Advanced Beginner | Blogs – NG Outsourcing | Nov 9, 2011
- From Free and Premium wordpress plugins | Writing WordPress Guides For The Advanced Beginner | Nov 9, 2011
- From Writing WordPress Guides For The Advanced Beginner | IdentityNepal.com | Nov 9, 2011
- From Writing WordPress Guides For The Advanced Beginner | Ricky Noel Diancin Jr. Webmaster | Web Designer | Wordpress Expert | Nov 9, 2011
- From Themes Wordpress Dicas Wordpress para Iniciantes Avançados - Themes Wordpress | Nov 9, 2011
- From Writing WordPress Guides For The Advanced Beginner | Remake Wordpress Theme | Nov 9, 2011
- From Writing WordPress Guides For The Advanced Beginner | Wordpress Training Course Brisbane: Next Course Thur 24th Nov 2011 | Nov 9, 2011
- From Writing WordPress Guides For The Advanced Beginner | Testing themes | Nov 10, 2011
- From level. graphic design boutique agency based in weymouth dorset | Nov 10, 2011
- From Take Me Away » Just another WordPress site » Writing WordPress Guides For The Advanced Beginner | Nov 10, 2011
- From Writing WordPress Guides For The Advanced Beginner | underwaterfashionblog.com | Nov 11, 2011
- From Writing WordPress Guides For The Advanced Beginner | Web Design Course Brisbane: Next Course Sat 10th Dec 2011 | Nov 12, 2011
- From Writing WordPress Guides For The Advanced Beginner | Ruturaj Pradeep Kohok | Your Web Advisor | Nov 14, 2011
- From Creating WordPress tutorials fantastic build | jesus4us WordPress | Nov 14, 2011
- From Writing WordPress Guides For The Advanced Beginner | Body Mind and Mood | Nov 14, 2011
- From Writing WordPress Guides For The Advanced Beginner | TunerLabs Blog | Nov 16, 2011
- From The Advanced Beginner – Writing WordPress Guides | WordPress Planet | Jan 2, 2012
- From » MagazineNetworkShopJob BoardSmashing DirectoryCodingUXDesignWordpressDesigninformer DESIGNLANDER | Jan 7, 2012
- From Writing WordPress Guides For The Advanced Beginner | dot Key Plugins | Jan 24, 2012
- From Writing WordPress Guides For The Advanced Beginner |Layout to HTML | Jul 15, 2012