Filed Under: Philosophy
- Clients tend to pay more
- Clients tend to have a more personal connection
- Clients tend to give you things like Christmas cards and tickets to the game
- Clients require a lot more work
- Clients can be demanding and take a lot more time
- Clients expect more for their money
Scaling your business up can be difficult with only clients unless you hire people. There can be certain expectations that clients have that customers would not. They might expect you to take care of something free of charge because of your personal connection or those free tickets they gave you.
- Customers come for what they need, buy it and leave
- There is less personal interaction, salesmanship yes, but if the product is up to par you won’t see them until they return for another purchase
- You can do business with a customer over the web without ever seeing them in person
- Finding enough of them
- Converting them into lifelong purchasers
Based on the above comparison, customers are a better option. You can scale your business and not hire extra people, ebay and amazon are completely customer based. Many client based companies make tons of money, but the ability to scale and sell more is based on the customer, not the client. Are you trying to find more customers or clients?